Monday, June 21, 2010

Week 11

A typical week in Antelope. I had the best hitting of the week, with a massive advantage over everyone but the Fantasy Tools (the best team in the league)... and I had the worst pitching of the week (being easily doubled by all but 1 team).

The net result was a wash, and my overall points for the season remained the same. Here is a look at the top of the current standings.


1 ~ Fantasy Tools 84.5
2 ~ Wheats N Raisins 77.5
3 ~ Antelope Crusaders 77.0
4 ~ Lynnwood Legacy 68.0
5 ~ Balls Deep 65.0



While my total stayed the same, a team did indeed break from the pack and jump ahead of me into second place. The Raisins certainly have a roster that could hold second place too. The massive hitting / no pitching make up of my team is a formula for Third Place. In order to avoid that reality, I need to do a little something in pitching.

Looking at the stats, there is no where positive for me to go in the hitting categories. I am in second place in each of the 5 categories... behind the Tools in 4 of them with little chance of catching him. Could maybe gain a point in Batting Average, but that's it. I'd be THRILLED to no lose any hitting points.

Pitching wise, I'm already in first in Wins... and in a pitched battle to hold that. I am second in Strikeout and in another battle to hold on (with no chance at gaining). ERA and Ratio are wastelands... second to last in both. Can't see gaining there. That leaves Saves as the one place I have a chance to pick up some points. Right now I have two closers and have a legitimate chance at gaining 4 to 5 points. Probably going to need to get at least some of that... while largely holding serve elsewhere... to win Second Place. That will be a challenge.

Here is a recap of the week.


Hitting (80 for 296, .270ba, 11hr, 47rbi, 39rs, 8sb)
My ABs dropped this week but I still was able to post excellent numbers. Most of my star players posted solid weeks... A Pujols (7 for 18, 3rbi, 4r), J Upton (7 for 23, 1hr, 4rbi, 5r, 1sb), J Braun (9 for 24, 1hr, 5rbi, 3r) and H Ramirez (5 for 17, 2hr, 7rbi, 4r, 1sb) were all solid. N Morgan (5 for 21, 1rs, 3sb) and T Glaus (3 for 19, 1hr, 6rbi, 3r) didn't have good batting average weeks, but they contributed elsewhere.

But hands down the biggest star of the week was Ryan Howard (8 for 24, 4hr, 8rbi, 6r). He did the majority of that damage in a 5 at-bat stretch, but that's often the way he rolls. The best news of the week though was Roger Bernadina (6 for 22, 1hr, 2rbi, 1r, 1sb). The Nationals have named him their everyday starting Right Fielder. So, no more lost ABs to Willie Harris, Mike Morse and the rest of that scrubbly crew.

On the bad side of things the list is pretty small this week. Matt Kemp (5 for 26, 4rbi, 2r, 1sb) continues to disappoint. I wonder if the Dodgers shouldn't bump him down to 7th or even 8th in the order... maybe he'll press less. He's not been close to the player I was hoping for.

The goat of the week goes to my catchers though... all 3 of them. George Kottaras (4 for 9, 1rbi, 3r) actually had a good week, but the 9 ABs shows his biggest problem. He has lost his starting job. Well, actually his BIGGEST problem is that he sucks. Can't hit and can't throw (1 for 27 catching base stealers).

Bengie Molina (3 for 12) and Rod Barajas (2 for 14, 1r) are close to being in the same boat too. It's already borderline to call them starters. They've both drifted into splitting ABs... and that's cutting into my overall team ABs (and injuries to O Infante and H Ramirez didn't help).

I've always looked to have two starting and productive catchers. That creates a very nice advantage. Just not working out this year though. Fact is, even if they do play... these catchers don't produce much.


Pitching (63.1ip, 6.96era, 1.63ratio, 41k, 1w, 1s)
A week long nightmare that was very reminiscent of my entire 2009 season. Ely, Atilano, Narveson, Duke, Correia, Myers and A Sanchez all had one start this week... and they all lost. 0-7 in 7 starts. Jon Garland lost his first start too... for 0 wins and 8 loses... before he closed the week with 6 shutout innings in a win.

Extremely ugly and hard to pick a worst out of the bunch. John Ely (4.1ip, 13.50era, 2.36ratio, 3k) was the worst of the worst though. After such an incredible start, he is starting to crash. He has started to walk more batters... and it looks to me like a control problem is the issue (more within the strikezone than out of it). That's something that can be turned around... or... it can get worse (especially in a young pitcher).

On the positive side... yuck... not much. My relief pitchers did okay. Matt Capps tossed two perfect innings, so maybe he is over his recent slump. Nick Masset was perfect this week too. Of course, he only pitched a single inning (and it was a meaningless inning). Think the Reds have finally tired of his poor pitching.

Aaron Heilman (2.2ip, 3er, 6on, 2k, 1s) went 1 for 1 in save chances in his first week as the Arizona closer. He did give up a run getting that save though, and was hammered in his other outing (mop up work). And, for that effort... lol... he is my pitcher of the week!


Other News
Vicente Padilla did indeed come of the DL. He pitched decently in Boston too. Not sure he's a positive, but as long as he is in the Dodgers rotation I'll keep him active.

To make room for him I ultimately decided to reserve cut Zack Duke... which allowed me to keep Luis Atilano. Duke hasn't won in a month (and has only 1 win since the first week of the season). He's given up 20 runs in his last 21 innings and has a 1.72ratio on the season. He has been BAD. He also pitches for the worst team in baseball. The Pirates score few runs... and they made 6 (SIX!) errors his last start.

Add to that an elbow injury that has Duke missing (at least) his next start... and yea... his upside looks "limited." I'd say it's a good bet that he ends the year with 5 or 6 wins. I actually think he has more talent that Luis Atilano... but Atilano pitches for a better team and he is healthy. He at least has a reasonable chance at picking up some wins.

Duke goes straight to my reserve squad, and I'll bring him back if he turns things around.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...some things never change: your pitching is typical Antelope pitching, isn't it? And your hitting rocks. One day you're going to have to learn to evaluate pitchers, Todd!

    And, IMHO, "Balls Deep" is the best team name.

    -Rand

    ReplyDelete