Sunday, August 1, 2010

Week 17

Missed last week and time is short this time around because of a family vacation. The race for second remains extremely close. Here is how the overall standings look...

1 ~ Fantasy Tools 86.0
2 ~ Lynnwood Legacy 76.5
3 ~ Antelope Crusaders 75.0
4 ~ Wheats N Raisins 70.5
5 ~ Gang Green 68.0



I lost Matt Capps to the AL this week, while Legacy somehow managed to hold onto Adam Dunn. That's a pretty bad break and means I'll be hard pressed to beat him. I figure it's close to 50/50 right now. No lock that I get 3rd either.

Here is a breakdown of last week... with the stats from 2 weeks ago included... and a focus on the month of July.


Hitting (73 for 323, .229ba, 3hr, 28rbi, 33rs, 5sb)
Previous Week 95 for 330, .288, 11hr, 41rbi, 37r, 19sb
My hitting slowed way-WAY down, enough so that I'm at my lowest hitting point total for the year. It no longer looks like I can win Stolen Bases while my lock on (in second place) RBI and Runs has started to slip. Actually fell out of 2nd in HR for the first time in several months too. I need some power production, as there is no way I can afford a dip in any of those categories, most especially with the loss of Matt Capps.

Troy Glaus was awful for the entire month of July... 13 for 72 with 0hr and 5rbi. He has a lot to do with things getting tighter. Wilson Valdez (11 for 65, 4rbi, 4r) is proving to be a big mistake. Cut Randy Winn to keep him because he "is a starter for the Phillies." Well, he also "can't hit" and that's trumped his role as a starter. Randy Winn had a massive month btw (for a bench player)... out-producing Valdez in a single game.

Roger Bernadina (14 for 56, 1hr, 6rbi, 7r) has lost lots of playing time to Mike Morse... Hanley Ramirez was awful for the month (21 for 91 with ZERO HRs). So, there are some real issues.

Still do have a great hitting team though, and lots of players are doing well. Nyjer Morgan (24 for 81, 7rbi, 12r, 10sb) has really picked his game up. Looking like a big second half for him. Ryan Howard hit 8hr in the month, Justin Upton (29 for 87, 2hr, 13rbi, 10r, 2sb) has gotten red hot lately... Omar Infante (24 for 57, 1hr, 5rbi, 7r) continues to impress. Tried to shop him, and got no interest. At $1, he is a for sure keeper next year though.

Do need those power numbers to pick back up though!


Pitching (71.1ip, 3.00era, 1.05ratio, 58k, 3w, 2s)
102.0ip, 3.21era, 1.33ratio, 70k, 4w, 2s
Doesn't look like an Antelope pitching staff these last two weeks. As good as the numbers look to me though, they're really not that helpful. First of all, pitching overall has been a lot better this year. A 3.00era doesn't help like it did in the past. Also, my team was so far behind in ERA and Ratio that it helps even less. Finally, my team has a massive amount of innings. I carry as many 11 starting pitchers at times, so it takes a lot to move my ERA.

I am sort of / kind of in seeing distance of 9th place (in an 11 team league) in ERA. 0.16 behind another point there. That's still a long way off though. Ratio is even worse. So as nice as it is to see these good ERA/Ratio weeks, they're not doing anything for me... not unless I can string a few more of them together (which is unlikely).

I have actually LOST points in pitching because I have fallen out of first place in Wins. I'm doing what I can there by piling up the starts... but I just don't have very many decent pitchers, so it's hard.

Have had some good efforts though. Brett Myers (38ip, 1.67era, 0.74ratio, 31k, 3w) has turned into a star pitcher. He's staying in Houston too, meaning he's a solid keeper now. Vicente Padilla (32ip, 1.42era, 0.85ratio, 27k, 2w) has been just as good since her returned from the DL too. They've turned into an extremely solid 1-2 punch at the top of my rotation.

Zack Duke has also been impressive since returning from the DL. He's looked good in all 3 starts, winning 2 of them. I wonder how much injury hurt him and Padilla leading up to their time on the DL.

The only starter I had for the entire month of July that wasn't at least decent was Kevin Correia (23ip, 5.08era, 1.49ratio), but even he wasn't that bad. The bullpen... what little if now left of it... was pretty solid too.

The bad came from call-up and fill in guys like Hawksworth, Narveson, Atilano and Sanabia. It's tough though because I am desperate for Wins and Ks. It's hard to not go with Starting Pitchers... though thus far, my pitching reaches haven't been helping. Like I mentioned though, ERA and Ratio are so far gone that I have little choice. I know the moment I start focusing on those two categories, Zack Duke and the gang will blow up and get hammered on a daily basis... leaving me with no fix.


Other News
Quite a bit of other news. Matt Capps got dealt to the Twins, which kills me in saves. I now hope that my D-back relievers can keep me out of last in the category, or heck... maybe even get me 3 big points. The hope of more... really the promise of it with Capps... is now gone though, and with it any slim chance at winning this league. It's now 100% about getting second place.

Joe Saunders will (basically) replace Matt Capps. I traded away Nick Masset so I could claim Saunders as a 25x player... meaning I can't trade him (no loss there) and that he has a contract that makes him a no-chance keeper. I do like him though, always have. Think he'll do quite well in the NL and I'm happy to have him. Don't know how many he can win the rest of the year on such a bad Arizona team, but he was far and away the best pitcher I could claim.

Have some other pending claims for Alex Sanabia (picked up in a trade, he was awful in 2 starts and has now been sent to the minors) and the Capps spot. Going with starting pitchers, and I'll know who I get later today.

Rod Barajas went on the DL. Totally fine with that. He has been less than worthless to me. Went with Erik Kratz because he was the Pirates starting Catcher. He's gone 2 for 15 though with 0hr, 0rbi, 0r, 0sb... and the Pirates have traded for another starting catcher, plus Doumit is supposed to be coming back real soon. So, a swing and mess there. Next time, I'm taking a catcher that doesn't play much... like Brad Ausmus. He at least would give zero production without hurting my batting average.

No comments:

Post a Comment